You don't do wear ...

Japanese and Japan
The following is a dictation that I took listening to a conversation on the radio between Sugita and Ann.
[Sugita and Ann are talking about Casual Day.]
Sugita: Ann, is it OK to wear anything you like on Casual Days?
[....]
Ann: [...] But there is a certain uniform still in a way, right? [...]
Ann: And a polo shirt or that sort of thing. You don't do wear a button-down shirt, for example.
Sugita: I see.
Is "You don't do wear a button-down shirt, for example." by Ann grammatically correct and natural English? "You don’t wear …" is OK to me, but I think I have never come across "You don't do wear …" pattern.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • vachecow

USA English
    You were right to question it. It should be "You don't wear..."

In general I also noticed that Ann's English isn't very good all the way through.

Aud Duck

English--United States
    I agree. This is definitely not natural English. My guess (given the context) is that she was going to say one thing, then changed direction halfway through the sentence. That's the sort of thing that seems to happen a lot in spoken language. According to that hypothesis, she was going to say "you don't do...," realized that it wasn't going to make much sense, then replaced the "do" with "wear." That's the only explanation I can think of. I have never heard a native speaker say "You don't do wear...."