You douche! / Douchebag [insult]

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I make the very careless assumption that you are asking for the slang meaning, not the literal.

US Slang: a general term of disparagement, esp. for an unattractive or boring person;
    1967 Amer. Speech XLII. 228 Douche bag, n. phr., an unattractive co-ed. By extension, any individual whom the speaker desires to deprecate. 1968 Punch 20 Nov. 718/2 ‘Send them away!’ she hissed. ‘If they are found here, those douche-bags will incriminate us all.’
    ... according to the OED

nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    I make the very careless assumption that you are asking for the slang meaning, not the literal.

US Slang: a general term of disparagement, esp. for an unattractive or boring person;
    1967 Amer. Speech XLII. 228 Douche bag, n. phr., an unattractive co-ed. By extension, any individual whom the speaker desires to deprecate. 1968 Punch 20 Nov. 718/2 ‘Send them away!’ she hissed. ‘If they are found here, those douche-bags will incriminate us all.’
    ... according to the OED
    And here comes the literal one: (WR dictionary)

2 douche, douche bag

a small syringe with detachable nozzles; used for vaginal lavage and enemas

Category Tree: entityobject; physical objectartifact; artefactinstrumentality; instrumentationdeviceinstrumentmedical instrumentsyringedouche, douche bag

jennball

USA English
    "Douchebag" was in fashion this past school year as a general-purpose insult among American teenagers. It is still popular, but I'm sure they'll think of something new next year.

nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    "Douchebag" was in fashion this past school year as a general-purpose insult among American teenagers. It is still popular, but I'm sure they'll think of something new next year.
    Er......Do you mean they insult schoolmates by calling them "Douchebag"? :eek:

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    History repeats itself? It was a general purpose insult among American teenagers in the 1960s.

domangelo

United States English
    It makes me laugh because it reminds me of growing up in the 1960s. It was very insulting, but not nearly as offensive as scumbag.

Carlaccio

Italy, Italian
    Hello everybody!

I have just come across an expression I had never heard before. There was a girl whining all the time and somebody called her "a douche". What does it mean "douche" referred to a girl? (I guess it is no compliment... :p).

Thank you all!

Matching Mole

England, English
    Please look at the main definition of douche in the WRF dictionary. It is not complimentary. It tends to be short for douchebag (the attachment to a douche). It can be used towards men or women and really is quite offensive. Chiefly US, I would say.

Monkey F B I

English - USA
    It's not a very nice thing to call someone. I'd suggest following Matching Mole's advice and clicking the link to the definition, since I think it'd be a pretty bad idea to post the meaning here.

Franzi

(San Francisco) English
    Please look at the main definition of douche in the WRF dictionary. It is not complimentary. It tends to be short for douchebag (the attachment to a douche). It can be used towards men or women and really is quite offensive. Chiefly US, I would say.
    Just a personal opinion here, but I don't think 'douchebag' is that offensive a word. It's the default insult used by lots of teenage boys I've known. I'd be annoyed if someone called me that, but no more so than if they called me a loser or a jerk or something.

Loob

English UK
    Yes, I took it to be, as MM and Franzi suggest, a variation on "you douchebag!".

This previous thread on "douchebag" appears to iindicate that it's not that serious an insult in AmE.

ShadowParadox

English - Canada
    It's like saying... "You bastard!"

It's a bit more rude, but not as offensive. It can be used in a joking manner, as well.

Brioche

Australia English
    I recall one episode of South Park where the electoral choice was between a Shit Sandwich or a Douche.

Supposedly this equated to no choice at all, thus the two items are equivalent in choiceness.:)

una madre

Western Canada English
    Just a personal opinion here, but I don't think 'douchebag' is that offensive a word. It's the default insult used by lots of teenage boys I've known. I'd be annoyed if someone called me that, but no more so than if they called me a loser or a jerk or something.

Must be a generational thing but I would be deeply offended if anyone of any gender or age called me that.

Carlaccio

Italy, Italian
    Thank you all!

By the way, I am not going to call anybody "douche". I just asked out of curiosity for a word whose meaning I did not know.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    Must be a generational thing but I would be deeply offended if anyone of any gender or age called me that.
    I've never been addressed this may myself, but it does not seem to be so serious an insult that it isn't traded among friends in some circles. I find that sort of verbal play far from palatable.

< Previous | Next >