you just saved / are saving my life

GeogeHalin

Japanese
Hi members!
How are you all doing?

This happened to me today and I want to know whether I said the right thing.
There's a copy machines in our school library. But we have to use our student cards, which are smart cards, that we put money in it to use it to copy, buy food at the canteen etc. So, I was in the library with my friend, wanting to copy something because I had to do it right then since if I didn't, I would not be able to hand in my homework on time. But then I realized I hadn't brought my card to school, so my friend said, "I have it. You can use mine to pay." (We have to insert the card to the machine so that it starts working.) So she took out her card from her pocket and handed it too me, I said "Thank you. You just saved my life."

I wonder if I should have said "You're saving my life." instead, because I hadn't used the machine.

What do you think? I think the time is tricky here.

Thank you!

• owlman5

English-US
    I don't see anything wrong with the tense in that remark, GH. In a figurative way, she "saved your life" as soon as she handed you the card. There's no rule that says that you have to finish doing something to save yourself before you can thank somebody for helping you do it.

Cross-posted with Keith

< Previous | Next >