You look nice with your hair pulled back

< Previous | Next >


Senior Member
English (American)

Is there a general term to cover pulling one's hair back to create a hairdo (for a ponytail or bun)? I tried "Du siehst gut aus, mit den Haaren zurückgezogen" but I was told that was wrong and got the suggestion "Du siehst gut mit Pferdeschwanz aus." In English at least, you can pull your hair back to create a number of different hairdos, not just a ponytail. I also know of the term "hochgesteckt"...would "Du siehst gut aus mit den Haaren hochgesteckt" work?

To me, a ponytail isn't really hochgesteckt...more like zurückgesteckt or nach hinten gesteckt.

Just curious what would sound normal to a native speaker. Thanks for any suggestions!
  • 1Nosferatu2

    Senior Member
    German - standard German/Hochdeutsch
    There are quite a few options here.
    Maybe the Pferdeschwanz example first.
    Du siehst mit Pferdeschwanz gut aus.
    Der Pferdeschwanz sieht gut aus.

    Der Pferdeschwanz steht dir.

    steht dir
    is very common and idiomatic when you want to say that something (a piece of clothing, new shoes, a hairdo, etc.) looks good on a person.

    Du siehst mit zurückgebundenen Haaren gut aus.
    Die zurückgebundenen Haare stehen dir.
    Die zurückgebundene Frisur steht dir.

    Your first example wasn't all that bad ('zurückgezogen' isn't the best option), it'll sound better if you say Du siehst gut aus mit den Haaren nach hinten gebunden or Du siehst gut aus mit den zurückgebundenen Haaren or Die zurückgebundenen Haare stehen dir (stehen dir gut).

    There are probably hundreds of options to express this idea.
    < Previous | Next >