you looks good or you look good??

< Previous | Next >

yuirobo

Japanese
I am confused between "look" and "looks".

"look" is verb. that's what I know.
e.g)
you look fine.
He looks fine.

but,
your looks is beautiful ? or your look is beautiful??

Is "looks" noun meaning is like "appearance"?

Thank you so much!

• Andygc

British English
    You would not normally use the noun in the way that you are trying to here

So, you would not say your looks are beautiful, although that is a correct structure - your look is beautiful may also be grammatically correct, but the usage is wrong for the meaning, as appearance is usually looks.

You could say she has beautiful looks, but you would be most unlikely to say you have beautiful looks.

Complimenting somebody - you look beautiful
    Talking about somebody who is not directly involved in the conversation
    She looks beautiful, just like her mother or
    She has beautiful looks, just like her mother

You can use the singular form to mean appearance, but then it would be
    she has a beautiful look, but it would be more likely that you would use it to say he has an evil look. To me that would suggest not that he looks evil, but that there is a part of his appearance that suggests that he is an evil person. Similarly he has a saintly look about him.

jpyvr

English - Canadian
    I agree with the poster above that your look is beautiful, though grammatically correct, is wrong in the context above.

However, the same phrase is both grammatically correct, and the proper usage, when the meaning of look is "the totality of one's appearance", like a "goth look", a "glamour look", or a "new look."

yuirobo

Japanese
    You would not normally use the noun in the way that you are trying to here

So, you would not say your looks are beautiful, although that is a correct structure - your look is beautiful may also be grammatically correct, but the usage is wrong for the meaning, as appearance is usually looks.

You could say she has beautiful looks, but you would be most unlikely to say you have beautiful looks.

Complimenting somebody - you look beautiful
    Talking about somebody who is not directly involved in the conversation
    She looks beautiful, just like her mother or
    She has beautiful looks, just like her mother

You can use the singular form to mean appearance, but then it would be
    she has a beautiful look, but it would be more likely that you would use it to say he has an evil look. To me that would suggest not that he looks evil, but that there is a part of his appearance that suggests that he is an evil person. Similarly he has a saintly look about him.

so,
    you don't use "look" to describe "you"?
    e.g) you have a beautiful looks, your looks is beautiful (? you looks are ?)

only you can use this is:
    She has a beautiful look.?

what about "Looks" as noun?

I like your looks.
    His looks is very good.
    He has very good looks.

Andygc

British English
    so,
    you don't use "look" to describe "you"?
    e.g) you have a beautiful looks , your looks is beautiful (? you looks are ?)

only you can use this is:
    She has a beautiful look.?

what about "Looks" as noun?

I like your looks.:tick:
    His looks is very good.:cross:
    He has very good looks.:tick: but :thumbsdown:
    You need to distinguish between being grammatically correct and normal usage. She has a beautiful look is grammatically correct but it is very unlikely that anybody would use that structure, instead - she looks beautiful. You could say you have a beautiful looks, but an English speaker is very unlikely to do so. He would say you look beautiful.

He has very good looks is grammatically correct and some people might use it, but I would say he is very good-looking. (well, I might not, but my wife would :eek:)

jpyvr's example has a different meaning - your look is beautiful means that the appearance that you have tried to achieve is beautiful. So, if a woman decided to dress properly in 1950s style, got the right shoes, dress, hat, make-up, hairstyle etc somebody seeing her may be impressed by the result and say your 1950s look is beautiful. That does not mean that she herself is beautiful, but that the look (the appearance) that she has achieved is beautiful.

avadona

ukraininan, Ukraine
    Hello! Can we say He has a rap look. When we mean that he is dressed up as a rapper. Thanks in advance

< Previous | Next >