You might be short one.

aaronsun666

Mandarin
The Big Bang Theory Season 05 Episode 19

Leonard: You pick up a Y chromosome while you were there? You might be short one.

I guess, short here can be replaced by lacking of. It seems like a transitive verb to me.

But please locate the meaning in WR dictionary that matches the word, short.

• Myridon

English - US
    I guess, short here can be replaced by lacking of. It seems like a transitive verb to me.
    You are lacking of one. :cross:
    You are lacking one. :tick:
    If you think it's transitive (takes a direct object), you should not be thinking about using a preposition.

aaronsun666

Mandarin
    Yes ... no "of" in this context.
    be short something or be short one, two, three...
    Why no relevant result yielded after a Yahoo search? Why I found no sentences with similar phrases in my dictionaries? Why do I expect there to be a preposition, such as, on and of, following the adjective, be short?

I'm stumped now.

Copyright

American English
    Did you do a Google search for "you're short one"? There are many results.

Yes, they tend to end in a noun – "You're short one member/player/man/candidate/elf" – but in the right context, where you know the noun that's being talked about, you can simply say, "You're short one."

And that's only "you're short one" – the subject could be "they're/we're/he's/she's/it's," and instead of "one," it could be "two/three/four/etc."

Last edited:

srk

English - US
    aaron666 said:
    Why do I expect there to be a preposition, such as ... of, following ... be short?
    Without a quantifier like "a" or "one" or "some" before the noun, you will see "of":

We are short of/on cash. But - We are short some cash. We are short a few dollars.
    We are short of/on staff. But - We are short a few workers.

He's a few bricks short of a load. "Of" serves a different function here. He's still a few bricks short.

aaronsun666

Mandarin
    Without a quantifier like "a" or "one" or "some" before the noun, you will see "of":

We are short of/on cash. But - We are short some cash. We are short a few dollars.
    We are short of/on staff. But - We are short a few workers.

He's a few bricks short of a load. "Of" serves a different function here. He's still a few bricks short.
    Thank you very much!:thumbsup:

< Previous | Next >