you must be from another planet

caféolé

spanish
Hi everyone!

I'm wondering if this is meant as a compliment. Sounds very much like the typical line, am I wrong? Where in the English-speaking world would you be able to hear this?

Thank you!

• nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    Hi everyone!

I'm wondering if this is meant as a compliment. Sounds very much like the typical line, am I wrong? Where in the English-speaking world would you be able to hear this?

Thank you!
    In AE, I suppose it's a way to say that someone's very strange, special, or unusual..................

You can use it in a good way
    --You are too beautiful to be true, you must be from another planet.

Or you can be mean
    --I don't understand anything you've said so far, you must be from another planet.

I am off (back to another planet :D)

bibliolept

AE, Español
    You would also say it, in a slightly critical or surprised manner, if someone's is ignorant of something that is obvious or has an opinion or tastes that are exceedingly unusual.

Loob

English UK
    Hi everyone!

Thank you!
    I can't ever imagine using this as a compliment: to me it means you're odd, weird, strange. To be fair, I'd usually say it slightly differently and about a third person: "he's on a different planet!"

Now - "out of this world" - that is a compliment!

Sheilamontreal, if you want to discuss "must", have a look for previous threads first, then start a new thread if your query isn't covered (I suspect it will be!):)

Loob

fdk47

Tagalog
    Hi.

Can I say "You must be from ....." in real life?

Ex. I see someone at a party that I think she goes to the same school as I do, or she works for the same company as I do:

"Hi. You look familiar. You must be from the same school/company. Do you go to XYZ? / Do you work cor XYZ?"

Thank you.

loghrat

British English / Danish
    You would also say it, in a (slightly critical or) surprised manner, if someone's is ignorant of something that is obvious
    or currently very popular

"You haven't heard of Gangnam Style ?!! You must be from another planet!"

(Maybe my example is so passé that I might be thought of as being from another planet by some?:eek:)

EStjarn

Spanish
    Can I say "You must be from ....." in real life?
    I think one can use that construction if it would also be idiomatic to say, I am from [school name]/[company name], e.g. I am from the University of the Philippines. To me 'from' here implies that I represent that university.

So in certain contexts it would seem idiomatic to say, for example, You must be from the University of the Philippines.

< Previous | Next >