you need to let the sail out a bit more

Jardino

Korean
context :
Phil
Well, we did it. We now have a stowaway and despite Passepartout's doubts, Sophia seems to know about sailing because, like us, she was sailing around the world. I think it'll be fun having an extra person on board. I hope Passepartout agrees…
PP
Sophia - you need to let the sail out a bit more – loosen that rope

I don't know the meaning of this sentence and how Let are used in this sentence . is that phrase verb , let sth out ? but i can't find correct meaning.
here's the meaning i guess
you need to let[=allow] the sail (to be) out (the boat) a bit more. but not sure.

• LVRBC

English-US, standard and medical
    To let the sail out means to slacken the ropes holding it ( and the boom it is fastened to) in position so that a larger sail surface is presented to the wind.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    In sailing, you use a rope to pull the sail closer to the center ("in") or let the sail move away ("out").

To make the sail move in, you pull on the rope. To make the sail move out, you relax and let the sail pull the rope a bit. You don't push the rope: the sail pulls it.

So you are "letting" (allowing, permitting) the sail to pull the rope and move outward. You "let the sail (move) out".

Jardino

Korean
    In sailing, you use a rope to pull the sail closer to the center ("in") or let the sail move away ("out").

To make the sail move in, you pull on the rope. To make the sail move out, you relax and let the sail pull the rope a bit. You don't push the rope: the sail pulls it.

So you are "letting" (allowing, permitting) the sail to pull the rope and move outward. You "let the sail (move) out".
    perfect answer. really thank you!

< Previous | Next >