you never pitted evidence

< Previous | Next >

jacdac

Lebanese
‘You’re one of the good ones. Never took a bribe, never pitted evidence, always walked a straight path.’
I think I came close to pitting evidence some last night, Ralph thought. I think it was close. If Sablo hadn’t been there, if it had just been me and Samuels …

Source: Outsider by Stephen King
Context: The defending attorney Howie is speaking to the prosecuting detective Harry, on their way to the district count.
Harry is musing on the event of the previous night and the temptation to pit (manipulate?) the evidence,

What does pit the evidence mean? manipulate the evidence?

Thank you.

• Jim in Phila

American English
    One definition of "to pit" is "to set in direct opposition or competition." So here it seems to mean to go against /oppose the evidence.

jacdac

Lebanese
    Thank you. Would you say it colloquially? to game: to manipulate (a situation), typically in a way that is unfair or unscrupulous?

Pertinax

BrE->AuE
    After googling the term "pitted" in this context, I conclude that it means "buried". Not destroyed, but stored or filed where no one is likely to find it. This sense is new to me. Its currency seems to be largely restricted to US police departments and lawyers.

< Previous | Next >