(You-not-tell) him anything if you know he gets furious.

< Previous | Next >

marcogaiotto

Italian
(You-not-tell) him anything if you know he gets furious.
Hello! Please, can you help me?
I've got to complete the sentence acoording to the conditional structure (If somenthing happens/happened/had happened, something else happens/will happens/would have happened).
I have some doubts; I'd say: Don't tell him anything if you know he gets furious (1);
"You don't tell him anything if you know he gets furious" (2): I don't find it so natural.
What would you suggest? Thanks a lot in advance!

Last edited:
  • wolfram_beta

English - American
    Are you saying that you've been given a sentence of the form, "_____ him anything if you know he gets furious", and you need to fill it in with the verb "to tell"?

marcogaiotto

Italian
    Yes, you're right! But I'm supposed to use a conditional structure, like the ones I mentioned above. I made a mistake, sorry!!! I've just corrected (2). As a matter of fact, (1) sounds better to me...(2) seems odd to me!!!

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    Of course. However, I wondered whether "you-not-tell" was meant to indicate that you're expected you to include the word "you". It isn't clear.
    If that's the case, "Don't you tell him anything...." would be a sterner warning. As written above, we probably wouldn't use 'you'.

< Previous | Next >