you realize that the other one may not be that far off, that he will go too, or she. So you know, th

< Previous | Next >

Vanloon

Hindi
Transcript | This American Life

context
Ed Hacker: Stepfather
Mom: Died a few years ago and she loved to talk with her son through phone.

This american life

It's like an injustice that he's getting this treatment and not her, and I keep trying to square it somehow. But when I put this to Ed, he basically said it's really not that big a mystery.

Ed Hacker
Kind of obvious that if one parent dies, you realize that the other one may not be that far off, that he will go too, or she. So you know, the scarcity, just like in economics, makes the value go up.

1Q: I think 'far off' means that she or he cannot live that long after their spouse death. Am I right?
2Q: 'he will go too' means that he will go to the death too. right?
3Q: What does 'scarcity' means here? what become scarcity?
4Q: makes the value go up? what?

Thanks a lot!

• lingobingo

English - England
    He is saying that his wife has died and he is now next in line. He may die soon too. In an analogy with economics – that makes him a rare commodity, one that might not be "available" for much longer and therefore becomes more valuable, more expensive.

This is by way of explaining why Sean feels the need to make the most of his stepfather while he still can, why he keeps ringing him even though he never did the same for his mother.

Vanloon

Hindi
    Thank you so much Mr. Lingobingo

Sean said that 'he keeps trying to square it somehow'.
    Could you paraphrase this phrase please?
    Thanks

lingobingo

English - England
    He keeps trying to "make it right" = compensate for not having phoned his mother as often as she would have liked when she was alive.

< Previous | Next >