you said that, you say things

< Previous | Next >

eli7

Persian (Farsi)
In "how I met your mother" series, a boyfriend of Robin's sister, comes to see her. He says: "looks like hotness runs in the family."
and Robin says: "oh, you said that. Great."
and after some minutes he says something alike again and Robin says: You say things!

What does "you said that" and "you say things" mean?

• owlman5

English-US
    Robin probably didn't know who said "hotness runs in the family". If that's true, then Robin might have said "Oh. You said that (instead of somebody else saying it). Great!"

When Robin says "You say things", she probably means "You say stupid/foolish things."

Myridon

English - US
    I believe it's a rather sarcastic, wry way of saying "I can't believe you actually just said that." She assumes that her sister's boyfriend would not try to flirt with her, but he just has.

eli7

Persian (Farsi)
    Robin probably didn't know who said "hotness runs in the family". If that's true, then Robin might have said "Oh. You said that (instead of somebody else saying it). Great!"
    Thanks, but I didn't get what you mean by "she didn't know who said that." If who refers to the subject, it was Robin's sister boyfriend, Kayle. or maybe you meant "she didn't know who Kayle was talking about, Robin or her sister". Could you please clarify it which one you meant?

owlman5

English-US
    Thanks, but I didn't get what you mean by "she didn't know who said that." If who refers to the subject, it was Robin's sister boyfriend, Kayle. or maybe you meant "she didn't know who Kayle was talking about, Robin or her sister". Could you please clarify it which one you meant?
    This is nothing more than my guess about a cryptic remark that doesn't have much context. Did Robin happen to hear from some other source that "hotness runs in the family"? I don't know. If she did, she might have wondered who first said such a silly thing. When she heard "him" say it, she could have said "Oh. You said that. Great!"

It's hard to make guesses about fragments of language that come from some script. Those familiar with "How I Met Your Mother" might recognize the particular language that puzzles you.

eli7

Persian (Farsi)
    This is nothing more than my guess about a cryptic remark that doesn't have much context. Did Robin happen to hear from some other source that "hotness runs in the family"? I don't know. If she did, she might have wondered who first said such a silly thing. When she heard "him" say it, she could have said "Oh. You said that. Great!"
    Robin heard it from him(kayle) face to face. Then "oh, you said that" means you are saying nonsense and foolish things? or it shows that Robin is happy by his word?

pob14

American English
    I agree with Myridon: I think, from what context we have (I haven't seen this episode) that she means something like "Oh, I can't believe you actually said that." And that the "Great" is sarcastic.

eli7

Persian (Farsi)
    Thanks. What about "you say things". what does it mean? Does it mean the same as "you said that"?

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >