You say "yes" <as one>.

Shimmer Dancer

Chinese
Hi, everyone,
I am not very familiar with the phrase "as one" and what it means in the following context.

If I am a teacher and asked the students several questions, they answered "Yes" to each of my question. If I wish to say they could have come up with different answers instead of applying the same one to all the questions. Can I say: You all say "yes" as one?

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    When we say that people say something "as one," we mean they say it in unison: the same word(s) at the same time. That doesn't appear to be the meaning you want here.

Shimmer Dancer

Chinese
    Thank you for your reply. If I wish to convey the meaning I want here, how should I phrase it? Do you have any suggestions?

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    Thank you for your reply. If I wish to convey the meaning I want here, how should I phrase it? Do you have any suggestions?
    I'm not entirely clear on what you're asking about. Are you unhappy that (1) all of the students have answered "yes," instead of some students answering "no"; or (2) the students have answered "yes" to all of the questions, instead of answering "no" to some of them?

Packard

USA, English
    If I were the teacher I would say, "If you answered 'Yes' to all of the questions it is clear that you have not considered each question on its own. If that is the case, please re-read each question and consider each one before answering 'Yes' or 'No'."

Shimmer Dancer

Chinese
    I meant (2) the students have answered "yes" to all of the questions, instead of answering "no" to some of them?
    And I think Packard's sentence conveys my meaning.
    Thank you all!

< Previous | Next >