You seem a bit under cloud, anything happened?

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    Do you have a specific question about the sentence, blackantt? Are you asking about the phrase "under cloud," for example, or about the verb tense at the end?

blackantt

Chinese - China
    Do you have a specific question about the sentence, blackantt? Are you asking about the phrase "under cloud," for example, or about the verb tense at the end?
    this sentence is from my textbook. but I can't find the expression "under cloud" on the internet, the writer want to express "someone is withering" . So I am not sure It's a Chinglish ?

Myridon

English - US
    "Someone is withering" doesn't make much sense to me (it would mean they were shrinking and drying up like a dead plant). Could you say that in other words?
    "under a cloud" is an English idiom but it doesn't fit that sentence.
    Cambridge Dictionary Online
    not be trusted or popular because people think you have done something bad: The cabinet minister left office under a cloud after a fraud scandal.

sdgraham

USA English
    I wonder if he/she means under the weather.
    I don't think so. Perhaps I'm showing my age but I'm surprised that the expression has not been recognized here as meaning "gloomy."

Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::

gloomy /ˈɡluːmɪ/adj (gloomier, gloomiest)
    • dark or dismal
    • causing depression, dejection, or gloom: gloomy news
    • despairing; sad

Many years ago, there was a popular comic strip with a character called "Joe Btfsplk." The character, in a constantly gloomy mood, walked around with a small, dark cloud hanging over his head. The strip was "Li'l Abner."

The expression is, of course, a metaphor for the gloomy nature of dark and cloudy weather.

Edit: Aha. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Joe_Btfsplk_Excerpt.png

Last edited:

blackantt

Chinese - China
    So how to express someone looks spiritless,listless. I got the word listless, but nobody understand me,so I want to find another word to replace listless.

( you look pale/tired/exhausted/depressed .... )

< Previous | Next >