You should live your life so that...

< Previous | Next >

Murom

Russian
You should live your life so that you would be embarrassed to tell about it but pleased as hell to recall.

Does the phrase sound good to the English ear?

• Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Not really, Murom.

Pleased as hell strikes a particular register which might not be adapted to many circumstances.

Recall is usually transitive, but lacks a clear direct object in your sentence.

Murom

Russian
    Not really, Murom.

Pleased as hell strikes a particular register which might not be adapted to many circumstances.

Recall is usually transitive, but lacks a clear direct object in your sentence.
    I deliberately used as hell there rather than very or really to place a specific nuance on the phrase.

Regarding Recall, I've noticed several times that English-speaking natives leave out pronouns at the end of sentences, like in this one:
    The truth is that wormholes are all around us, only they're too small to see. (instead of to see them)​
    So I did so, too (instead to recall it). I may be wrong.

To be honest, the only word I wasn't sure about was pleased :) Maybe enjoyable I thought to be right word.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    I deliberately used as hell there rather than very or really to place a specific nuance on the phrase.

Regarding Recall, I've noticed several times that English-speaking natives leave out pronouns at the end of sentences, like in this one:
    The truth is that wormholes are all around us, only they're too small to see. (instead of to see them)​
    So I did so, too (instead to recall it). I may be wrong.

To be honest, the only word I wasn't sure about was pleased :) Maybe enjoyable I thought to be right word.
    You should have been less sure about the other parts, my dear Murom, I say rather severely.

Wormholes are too small to see is not perhaps out of the question. To insist on, the more correct, too small to be seen, might seem to some, though not to me, pedantic.

But you would be embarrassed to tell about it but pleased as hell to recall doesn't work, partly because the it doesn't easily transfer into the second part to become the object of recall.

I'm afraid my advice to you is to start again and study carefully the parallelisms you are striving for, admirably. It's an idea which deserves more careful treatment.

Ironically, the one word, pleased, you say you were worried about was fine. It's the bits you thought were fine which need throwing out, I fear.

< Previous | Next >