You should sign the document before a Notary Public

< Previous | Next >

etrader

Persian
You should sign the document before/in front of a Notary Public.

which one is correct: before or in front of?

• kentix

English - U.S.
    The reason we would usually have a notary involved is to get the document notarized, i.e. they stamp and sign it, too. So, normally, that's what we would say. You should sign the document and have it notarized, which implies the notary is there.

Are you doing something that only requires a notary to watch?

lingobingo

English - England
    I’m not an expert on this (though I have occasionally had reason to use a notary public), but I understand that in the UK one of the main roles of a notary public is to confirm that a signature is genuine. Therefore, even if the person has already signed the document, they have to do it again in his or her presence.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    You should sign the document before/in front of a Notary Public.

which one is correct: before or in front of?
    The only times I've ever had any personal experience of anything like this, I had to get my signature "witnessed by... ".

So I signed the document and then they countersigned it to certify that I'd signed it "in the presence of..."

AnythingGoes

English - USA (Midwest/Appalachia)
    I was asking about in the UK. None of the UK people have mentioned a stamp or seal.
    According to this notary's site, British notary stamps are embossing tools much like American ones. (The site is wrong when it says that American notaries use rubber stamps—here in Ohio, at least, they use steel tools.)

kentix

English - U.S.
    That's all I've seen, too. They're not stamps, they're presses, more or less.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    On the occasions I've done it we said 'in front of a Notary Public'; that implied that he or she stamped it too.

I see nothing wrong with 'before a Notary Public' with the same sense.

< Previous | Next >