You still would have been <powerless to escape> your fate

< Previous | Next >

Aeli

French - Belgium
Hello ! Thanks for accepting me in that community ! Hope I'll enjoy ! :)
Yet, I've got a question about that sentence : "You still would have been powerless to escape your fate" I could find on a TV series.
I find it interesting because I could not find any translation of that into French. It doesn't exist here, it cannot be spoken or written.

I know that it means : You could have done whatever you wanted, you couldn't escape your fate !
What does "You still would have been powerless to escape your fate" really mean, actually ?

Could I say "You still would have been useless to fix that table" for example ?
Thanks for your future help !

• beezneez

English - USA
    No, you would have to stay consistent with the original language. Thus, "You still would have been powerless to fix your table." Useless and powerless are very different words with very different meanings.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I know that it means : You could have done whatever you wanted, you couldn't escape your fate!
    What does "You still would have been powerless to escape your fate" really mean, actually?
    Welcome to the forum, Aeli. :)
    I'm afraid I don't understand your question. You've said that you know what it means (and you're right)—then, you ask what it means!

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Hello, Aeli.

Welcome to the forum. :)

The sentence you are asking about works because we do say "powerless to [do something]". We don't say "useless to [do something]", so your second sentence doesn't work.

There are other adjectives you could use. For instance, we say "able to [do something]." You could use the construction with able.
    You still would have been able to escape your fate.
    (It has a meaning opposite to the sentence you started with, of course.)

I hope I understood your question. If I didn't, please say so. :)

Aeli

French - Belgium
    Thanks for answering. Actually, if I had seen "You would have been powerless to escape your fate", I would have understood what it meant. Indeed, "You still would .... your fate" cannot be said in French.
    I now know what it means and how it's used. Example : "You could have done whatever you want : you still would have lost the battle" ! Am I right ?

Thanks again for your answers ^^

< Previous | Next >