you will be having a quiz

< Previous | Next >

EdisonBhola

Korean
Hi all, the following is a sentence written by my son's non-native English teacher:

Some time next month, you will be having a quiz.

My query is, isn't it wrong to say "will be having" here? I was taught that future continuous tense is used when something will be happening at a precise time in the future (e.g. I will be sleeping at 3am tomorrow.)

I think it should be "you will have a quiz". Am I right, or are they both correct?

Many thanks!

• se16teddy

English - England
    I was taught that future continuous tense is used when something will be happening at a precise time in the future
    The continuous forms mean that the event has been arranged, not that it has been arranged for a particular time.
    1. You are having a quiz some time next month. :tick:
    2. You will be having a quiz some time next month. :tick:
    Some people perceive differences in nuance between 1 and 2; but these are subtle and probably not universal.

(Of course, the continuous tenses can also be used with future reference to signal an action that happens until or while something else happens, and not that the action has been arranged: You will be having a quiz while we are at the zoo.)

Last edited:

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I think "will have" isn't "worse", but it's not quite as good.

It's very hard to explain in words why we sometimes feel the need to use the future continuous for something planned. Here it isn't exactly a question of stressing the duration, (e.g. We will be learning chemistry this term) or of showing that the action is ongoing rather than just beginning - (e.g. I will be sleeping at 3am tomorrow.)

I think it may have to do with the vagueness of the date.

You will be tested on this on November 6th.
    You'll be having a test on this some time in early November.

crossposted

< Previous | Next >