You will break through

Luis.Olias

Spanish, Spain
Hello,

I have a question:

Can a father say to his child: "Don't worry too much, you will break through" , as a way to encourage his child, meaning "You will achieve it" ?

Thanks in advance.

• "break through" does not carry that meaning, no.

you will achieve it :thumbsup: my prediction (somewhat formal)

you can do it :thumbsup: you have the ability to do (whatever we are talking about.)

you can make it (idiom) :thumbsup: you have the ability to reach your goal. (my preference.)

No.

First, "it" standing alone has no referent, not even an understood one, so right away that doesn't work.

(I believe Spanish sometimes allows or even requires in some constructions a generous repetition of dangling "le's, la's" and 'lo's" :) in ways that become intrusive and not understood in English.)

You could contrive one, a referent, in a sentence about sewing, for example, such as "Once you've threaded the needle, you can start pulling it (the needle) through the button holes." or "Hang on to one end of the rope and pull it through the window."

So this will almost always be taken literally as a physical action.

There is an expression "to pull through something" already metaphoric, and the "something" is always an intense crisis, a life-threatening illness, a mental breakdown, etc., in which pull through means "recover/survive":

"The boy was struck by a car and is in the hospital in very serious condition. His family is there praying that he will pull through."

(Or the father could lean over to his son and say, "Don't worry son, you'll pull through.)

jmichaelm

English - US
    If we are talking about a temporary situation, a period requiring extra effort or strength of character, then we might say, "You will get through this."

< Previous | Next >