you won't see him come/coming back again

< Previous | Next >

aisha93

Arabic/Persian
Hi

Are both of these correct:

- you won't see him come back again
- you won't see him coming back again

If yes, then what's the difference? and if one of them is wrong then why?

Thanks

• Andygc

British English
    Thank you. Can you tell me which is more commonly used?
    No, because you have provided no background and context. You cannot expect an answer to that question when you have nothing more than two sentences floating, alone, in space.

k8an

English - Australian
    Thank you. Can you tell me which is more commonly used?
    Hala ya aisha93 :)

I would say there is a very slight difference. This could just be my interpretation though, because I can't see the context.

"You won't see him come back again" = he won't come back, and you won't see him back.
    "You won't see him coming back again" = he won't come back, and you won't see him coming back (the actual act of coming back).

To me, the first one means that you won't see him back at the original place. The second one means either that you won't see him as he is coming back to the original place, or even trying to do so.

Again, I don't know the context so it could be different. Also, most people would probably not detect a difference in the meaning and would use them interchangeably. To my ear, I think I might be slightly more likely to say the second one.

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    Hi, in the following scenario , which one would you opt for, coming or come back?

Example:
    Two people are talking about a villain who is put to jail for lifetime in last night's season finale of a crime TV series. One of them asks if he'll make an appearance in next season. The other says "I don't see him coming/come back in next season because his storyline is over and should stay over."

k8an

English - Australian
    Hi, in the following scenario , which one would you opt for, coming or come back?

Example:
    Two people are talking about a villain who is put to jail for lifetime in last night's season finale of a crime TV series. One of them asks if he'll make an appearance in next season. The other says "I don't see him coming/come back in next season because his storyline is over and should stay over."
    DEFINITELY in this case it would be "I don't see him coming back next season..."

< Previous | Next >