........you wouldn't have this problem now

sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
Situation: A friend and I are spending our first day visiting Paris.

If you had checked the size of your suitcase, you wouldn't have this problem now.
If you checked the size of your suitcase, you wouldn't have this problem now.

Hello,

Can both be correct?

No source/self made grammar examples
Thank you

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    The first sentence is correct.

The second would only be correct if checking the size of the suitcase could be considered a habitual trait or repeated action. For example, one could say, "If you ate more meals at home, you would save money." But if the action in the first clause is a one-time event, you need to use the past perfect.

sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
    Is this an airport-related problem, sb? (Cross-posted)
    It also has source. I said "no source" because the second one has no source but the first one.
    I really don't know whether it's related to an airport or not. I have taken a picture of the page.
    If you click here, you will see it.

This is an exercise teaching conditionals:

1. If you ............ (check) the size of your suitcase, you wouldn't have this problem now. (Answer key = had checked)

I just wanted to know whether "checked" can be correct too or not.
    In my opinion, both (checked) and (had checked) can work in there. But not sure.
    If we use "had checked" it's mixed time conditional and if we use "checked" it's present unreal condition.
    I wish one native English will clarify it to me. Thank you.

Source: Summit 2B (by Joan Saslo and Allen Ascher) Pearson
    Longman Press, Unit6, Conditionals

Last edited:

Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    Then we'll have to make certain (silent) presumptions about the suitcase-related problem. :)

I think the first, with 'had checked', is by far the more likely, though as Flo has indicated in post#2, the second is not impossible; we just have to presume more for it to work.

As an aside, I think that many would say 'If you had checked the size of your suitcase, you wouldn't be having this problem now.'

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    It is correct only if you mean "If you were in the habit of checking the size of your suitcase..." or "If you always checked the size of your suitcase..."

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    You would need to eliminate "now."

"If you had checked the size of your suitcase, you wouldn't have had this problem." (or, possibly, "...that problem.") It refers to a problem in the past.

< Previous | Next >