you/you little... (precursor to insult)

trigel

English - US, Korean
Japanese: この ("this")
Korean: 이.../or sometimes 네이... ("this"/"you, this")
Hebrew (If I'm not mistaken): יא\חתיכת

Examples that are not simple "you..." wanted.

Last edited:
  • Saluton

Banned
    Russian
    Russian:
    ну ты (nu ti, "well, you"), e.g. ну ты, жадина! - you, greedy-guts!
    ах ты (akh ti, "oh, you"), e.g. ах ты сука! - you shitass!
    ах ты маленький (akh ti malenkiy, "oh, you little"), e.g. ах ты маленькая дрянь! - you dirty little bitch!
    вот (vot, "here", addressed in most cases to a third person), e.g. вот дебил! - such a dork!
    As for the ordinary ты (ti, "you"), it is usually inserted between two words of an insult when addressing someone offensively: сукин ты сын! - you son of a bitch!

inorez

English - World
    In Basque, the word "hori" ("that") is used in this context, although it comes after the noun.

Example: Alu hori! = You idiot/moron! ("alu" actually means "vagina", but is used as a general insult).

As well as for insults, "hori" can also be used in an affectionate way.

Example: Zorionak, polit hori! = Happy birthday, cutey! ("polit" = "pretty").

DearPrudence

Dépêche Mod (AL mod)
    IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    In French:
    "espèce de..." (literally: kind of/sort of/species of)

Or stronger:
    "sale..." (literally: dirty)

Outsider

Portuguese (Portugal)
    In Portuguese, it's usually seu/sua, literally "your". Less frequently one also hears meu/minha "my".

arielipi

Hebrew
    Hebrew (If I'm not mistaken): יא\חתיכת

For some weird reason it wont let me edit my previous post so: יא - ya - you, חתיכת - khatichat - (you little) piece of.
    They can come alone or together but if together ya is always before khatichat. Ya is pronounced as ma [ma for mom]; khatichat is stressed on the chat but theres a short(almost unnoticeable) pause after the ti.
    Khatichat is also pronounced khatchat with stress on the chat and again a short(though longer) pause, its more slang though but on register theyre the same.

rayloom

Arabic (Hijazi Arabic)
    In Arabic, such insults are preceded by "yā", which is actually a vocative particle. So technically it doesn't mean "you", although it's commonly translated as "you".

francisgranada

Hungarian
    Hungarian

I don't know if I understand the question very well, however I try to answer:

Te hülye
    te - you (2nd pers. sg. - "thou")
    hülye - imbecile, idiot, silly, stupid, etc ...
    (instead of hülye a plenty of other words can be used ...)

But using kis (little) generally "diminuishes" the strength of the term itself, though maintaining the insult:
    Te kis hülye

Last edited:

Gavril

English, USA
    Finnish: senkin < sen, the gen. sg. of se "that", + -kin "also, even"

Example: Senkin hölmö! "You fool!"

apmoy70

Greek
    In Greek, insults are usually preceded by «ρε» [re] which in the modern language is a vocative particle < Byzantine vocative particle «μρὲ» [mre] & late-Byzantine «ὠρὲ» [o're] < Classical & Koine Gr. vocative case «ὦ μῶρε» ô môrĕ of adj. «μωρός» mōrós -> dull, stupid, sluggish (with obscure etymology).
    In Modern Greek the word has lost its literal meaning and it's used nowadays as an intensifier, e.g.
    «Ρε μαλάκα!» [re ma'laka!] (there's an interesting wikipedia entry on the every day use of the slang word «μαλάκας» [ma'lakas])

Dymn

I think most of the time "you" in English or "seu/sua" in Portuguese would simply go untranslated in Spanish. It doesn't really add any important nuance anyway.

You can of course add things like "pedazo de" (colloquially "peazo de" or even "peazo" without the preposition) before insults, but it's more like "piece of", even literally. And it can be positive: "qué pedazo de artista", it's closer to "such an awesome artist!".

So no, there's no true equivalent of these introductory particles in Spanish. I suspect it's the same for French in #6.

merquiades

English (USA Northeast)
    You fool! You jerk!
    Espèce d'imbécile! Espèce de connard!
    @Dymn People in the Spanish heartland say for sure: ¡So imbécil! ¡So cabrón!
    But so is not a word as far as I know, so it's confusing, unless it comes from pedazo.

Last edited:

Dymn

@Dymn People in the Spanish heartland say for sure: ¡So imbécil! ¡So cabrón!
    But so is not a word as far as I know, so it's confusing, unless it comes from pedazo.
    You're right, I hadn't thought about it. It's true it's quite used, although, if we had to compare it to English or Portuguese, it's a lot less common. Apparently, it comes from "señor" through continuous erosion.

Sardokan1.0

Sardu / Italianu
    In Sardinian we use to introduce insults using "Bruttu" (dirty), same for Italian "Brutto", but in Italian means "ugly"

Bruttu castigadu maccu! (dirty, handicapped mad!)
    Bruttu mancante! (dirty deficient!)

< Previous | Next >