you'd tell'em , they'd say something judgmental.

< Previous | Next >

smilesun

chinese
Hi ! :)
There is a line that i can't figure out .

you'd tell'em , they'd say something judgmental.

I was wondering if this sentence is the abbreviation of "If you told them, they'd say something judgmental" ?

Thank you very much!

Last edited:
  • Riyan

Pashto
    Hi guys! :)
    There is a line that i can't figure out .

you'd tell'em , them'd say something judgmental.

I was wondering if this sentence is the abbreviation of "If you told them, them'd say something judgmental" or it's just another sentence structure ?

Thank you very much!
    Hello.
    Can you provide any context?

(Please note that this forum has many female members, some of whom do not like being called 'guys').

smilesun

chinese
    Hello.
    Can you provide any context?

(Please note that this forum has many female members, some of whom do not like being called 'guys').
    Thanks for your remind,i won't used it next time.
    Here's the dialogue.
    --what's up?
    --I never told my family we adopted a baby.
    --I know.
    --You do?
    --Yeah. I don't blame you. I know your family. You'd tell them,they'd say judgmental.
    --Exactly.
    --You'd get mad.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    It looks as though a word has been omitted. As you have guessed, it's probably "something". I can't tell whether the rest of the transcription is accurate, but the meaning seems clear enough. It isn't worth discussing the grammar if we don't know what was actually said.

Where did you find the dialogue, smilesun?

smilesun

chinese
    It looks as though a word has been omitted. As you have guessed, it's probably "something". I can't tell whether the rest of the transcription is accurate, but the meaning seems clear enough. It isn't worth discussing the grammar if we don't know what was actually said.

Where did you find the dialogue, smilesun?
    Thank you very much for you reply, velisarius ! :)And I'm so sorry .I made a mistake. I omitted the word "something "when I was typing. I hope you can forgive my careless. I found the dialogue from The Modern Family Ep01,S01. Cameron said it to Michel when Michel said he never told his family their were adopting a baby.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Thank you for coming back to the thread, smilesun.:) (lovely name)

The speaker is whispering at that pooint, so the words are not very clear. This is what I hear, and I'm almost sure about it:

You tell 'em, they say something judgemental - you'd get mad...

He's describing it as though it's happening:
    You tell 'em, they say something judgemental... (If that happened) you'd get mad.

The conditional is also very possible, as explained in #5 by london calling.

smilesun

chinese
    Thank you for coming back to the thread, smilesun.:) (lovely name)

The speaker is whispering at that pooint, so the words are not very clear. This is what I hear, and I'm almost sure about it:

You tell 'em, they say something judgemental - you'd get mad...

He's describing it as though it's happening:
    You tell 'em, they say something judgemental... (If that happened) you'd get mad.

The conditional is also very possible, as explained in #5 by london calling.
    Thank you very much ,velisarius! You help me a lot .I get it now .

< Previous | Next >