You'll need all the books by Wed. for your first lesson

< Previous | Next >

ATambu

italian
Can I use in an informal letter these sentences: "You'll need all the books by Wed. for your first lesson, which begins to 9.15. By the way, you had better be at class at about 9.00 to find a good seat. Any way, taking up the books again, you can buy them at bookshop." ? should I write it in another way?

Than you

• Thomas Tompion

English - England
    The tone is fine. I don't like 'taking up the books again', which is grammatically slack and loose - you aren't taking up books, and the taking up should agree with the subject, you. Why don't you say: you can buy the books at the bookshop? It seems a rather obvious point to make.

katie_here

England/English
    Can I make a suggestion,

You'll need all your books for the first lesson which starts on Wednesday at 9.15am.

(its better to say what you need the books for i.e., the first lesson , rather than the day. )

You had better be at class sounds more like an order than a suggestion, so it may be better to say..

It would be a good idea to be at class earlier, around 9.00am to get a good seat.

"Taking up" is not something that is normally said about picking up a subject again.

You could just say, the books can be bought at the bookshop.

I don't think there is any need to refer back.

so, together...

You'll need all your books for the first lesson which starts on Wednesday at 9.15am. (They) or (The books) can be bought at the bookshop.

It would be a good idea to be at the class early, around 9.00am, to get a good seat.

how does that sound?

nzfauna

New Zealand, English
    The first lesson begins at 9:15am on Wednesday 13 February - but you might want to be at class at about 9.00am to find a good seat. You'll need all the books/textbooks for the first class. They are available at the bookshop.

< Previous | Next >