'You'll want to do something" is used to make a suggestion?

< Previous | Next >

Bonggubi

Japanese
Hi folks~

I have recently understood that there are many softer expression that can be used to make a suggestion than saying "You better ~"

Such as "You might want to do .." "you might as well .. " and "You will want to .." but still not pretty sure what are the differences among them
and how to use them properly. Therefore, I would like to show you a few sentences and please correct me if there is anything wrong.
Plus, I would appreciate it if you could tell me your version of how to use them.

1. If you ever come to Tokyo, you might want to visit Asakusa because it is a traditional Japanese town.

2. Since you are in Japan, you might as well visit South Korea. It is only two hours away by plane.

3. If you come and see me in Tokyo, you will want to come by public transportation. It is too crowded to drive.

Additionally, I would like to ask one more question.

Is there any case you say "You would want to?? instead of "you will want to?" that doesn't really sound natural to me.

Sorry if I am asking too many questions but if anyone could answer all these, I would super appreciate it!
Cheers!

• Uncle Jack

British English
    1. If you ever come to Tokyo, you might want to visit Asakusa because it is a traditional Japanese town. :tick:
    This is a positive recommendation, but not too forceful.​

2. Since you are in Japan, you might as well visit South Korea. It is only two hours away by plane. :confused:
    "Might as well" is very half-hearted. You could do this if you've got nothing better to do, which carries with it the faint suggestion that there is nothing better to do in Japan. "Could" would be more neutral, offering it as a possibility.​

3. If you come and see me in Tokyo, you will want to come by public transportation. It is too crowded to drive. :tick:
    This is a lot stronger than "might want to", as is appropriate in this situation.​
    Additionally, I would like to ask one more question.

Is there any case you say "You would want to?? instead of "you will want to?" that doesn't really sound natural to me.
    "Would want to" is not unnatural, but is used in a more tentative situation. If you combine sentences (1) and (3), for example:
    If you ever come to Tokyo, you would want to use public transport. It is too crowded to drive.​

< Previous | Next >