Your audio is a bit funky

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
I came across "your audio is a bit funky" during an online talk-show in which the guests took part in a panel discussion via Google Hangout. The host, who was on the set, couldn't hear clearly what one of the guests was saying because his audio kept cutting in and out. The host interrupted him and said "Hold on a second. Your audio is a bit funky. Our technicians will get you on the phone so that we can hear you clearly. Meanwhile, I'd like to go to XYZ (another guest) and talk about...."

I was wondering if native speakers consider "funky" an appropriate word to describe an audio which is unstable or poor in quality. I couldn't find any definition that is relevant to this example.

• pob14

American English
    It's from the definition of "funk" that means "having an offensive odor." It's used by some in any context where "messed up" could be used.

ewie

English English
    It's fine by me, RG, though I doubt I'd ever use it myself.
    funky adj. [1990s] (US teen) wrong, unsatisfactory
    ~The Cassell Dictionary of Slang:)

P.S. I imagine the 'wrong, unsatisfactory' meaning grew out of the 'foul-smelling' one:)

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    Thank you all. That's an obscure definition to my non-native speaker ears. I'd prefer Keith's suggestion "wonky audio" in reference to "poor audio quality"

JustKate

Moderate Mod
    Both funky and wonky work for me. I've actually heard funky used to mean "not working the way it's supposed to" or "peculiar" more often than I've heard it used to mean "smells bad." I'm not saying this is right, I'm just saying this is the way I've heard the word used.

< Previous | Next >