Your brake lights will accomplish this

belongedto

Mandarin
Source: Utah Driver-Handbook-2018-2019 Page23 Utah Driver-Handbook-2018-2019

SIGNALING
Signals shall be given by the use of turn signals, stop-lights, or your hand and arm. Good drivers always signal their intentions well in advance. Signals are required:
For two seconds before turning.
For two seconds before beginning any lane change.
Any time you pull away from a curb.
When you intend to slow down or stop. Your brake lights will accomplish this if they are operating properly and can readily be seen.
Is the use of "accomplish" idiomatic?

• Uncle Jack

British English
    I don't know about "idiomatic", but it is a suitable word for this situation. I expect someone telling you this (rather that writing it in a handbook) would simply use "do".

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    When you intend to slow down or stop. Your brake lights will accomplish this if they are operating properly and can readily be seen.
    The whole thing is a mess: brake lights do not signal any intention at all, and certainly not "in advance": they signal the result of implementing a decision to apply the brakes.

Uncle Jack

British English
    The whole thing is a mess: brake lights do not signal any intention at all, and certainly not "in advance": they signal the result of implementing a decision to apply the brakes.
    It is quite easy to use your brake lights to signal intent without applying the brakes. Whether this is what the manual suggests, I cannot tell, and it is not the way most people drive (particularly not in Britain where manual cars predominate), but it would make a sensible rule. Rather better than sticking your arm out of the window and moving your hand in a circular motion, as we once had to do (well, I didn't; I wasn't old enough to drive in those days, but I am old enough to remember my mum having to take her driving test in her instructor's car because our own car's driver's window wouldn't open, which meant she would be unable to make this particular signal which was then a requirement of the test).

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    It is quite easy to use your brake lights to signal intent without applying the brakes.
    You have to touch the brake pedal to do it, and that will apply the brakes, however slightly.
    Rather better than sticking your arm out of the window and moving your hand in an anti-clockwise circular motion,
    Hmm... I take it she failed. That, in a righthand-drive car, would indicate an intention to turn left. To indicate slowing or an intention to slow, the extended arm was moved up and down. :D

kentix

English - U.S.
    In the U.S. to signal a stop you would stick your arm out and bend it 90° at the elbow and point your forearm straight down with your palm facing the cars behind you. You would just hold it like that.

I agree that you don't use your brakes to signal your intention. Your brake lights signal your action.

< Previous | Next >