your "Date and Time Format Settings" [of] ? [which is in] Windows

VeryEnglishFan

Traditional Chinese
Hi everyone,

The following tow sentences, which sentence is better and grammatical?

1>
The cause of failed registration is that your "Date and Time Format Settings" of Windows is incorrect. Please try to change current format to "MM/dd/yyyy" by reading the following article:
https://www.xxxxx.com/

2>
The cause of failed registration is that your "Date and Time Format Settings" which is in Windows is incorrect. Please try to change current format to "MM/dd/yyyy" by reading the following article:

• Copyright

American English
    I wouldn't use Windows because the person using Windows knows they're using Windows and so do you, so it's unnecessary.

Your registration failed because your "Date and Time" format is incorrect. Please change your format to "mm/dd/yyyy" by following the instructions on this page:

VeryEnglishFan

Traditional Chinese
    I wouldn't use Windows because the person using Windows knows they're using Windows and so do you, so it's unnecessary.

Your registration failed because your "Date and Time" format is incorrect. Please change your format to "mm/dd/yyyy" by following the instructions on this page:
    Thanks for you reply. Your writing is very simple and clear. My logical of English is very unidiomatic. How to improve my English writing?

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    your "Date and Time Format Settings" of Windows i
    Including "your" is confusing, since it means "of you". So you are saying "of Windows of you". And "your" is incorrect. The problem is bad format settings on this PC. The program does not know if "you" set them or someone else set them. And it does not matter: what matters is that the format settings are bad.

I would change the above quoted text to "the Windows Date and Time Format Settings". I think that is more clear than putting "of Windows" or "in Windows" after "Settings: but all three are correct.

It is important to include the word "Windows". There are thousands of programs that run on a Windows PC. Many of them have their own Date and Time Format Settings. So an error message must say which program's Settings are causing the problem. In this example, that program is Windows.

VeryEnglishFan

Traditional Chinese
    Including "your" is confusing, since it means "of you". So you are saying "of Windows of you". And "your" is incorrect. The problem is bad format settings on this PC. The program does not know if "you" set them or someone else set them. And it does not matter: what matters is that the format settings are bad.

I would change the above quoted text to "the Windows Date and Time Format Settings". I think that is more clear than putting "of Windows" or "in Windows" after "Settings: but all three are correct.

It is important to include the word "Windows". There are thousands of programs that run on a Windows PC. Many of them have their own Date and Time Format Settings. So an error message must say which program's Settings are causing the problem. In this example, that program is Windows.
    Thanks for your detailed explanation. I learn a lot from your this reply.

So, the "Your registration failed because your "Date and Time" format is incorrect. Please change your format to "mm/dd/yyyy" by following the instructions on this page: " should be modified to "Your registration failed because the Windows "Date and Time Format Setting" is incorrect. Please change your format to "mm/dd/yyyy" by following the instructions on this page:". Is it OK?

Last edited:

Copyright

American English
    Point taken about "your/the," so I would use this:
    Your registration failed because the format of your "Date and Time" format setting is incorrect. Please change the format to "mm/dd/yyyy" by following the instructions on this page:

or

Your registration failed because the format of your "Date and Time" format setting needs to be "mm/dd/yyyy" – please follow the instructions on this page:

I still don't think Windows is necessary: either the website knows you're on Windows, or it doesn't matter because they will give you instructions for Windows and Mac (and any other operating system) on the page they're linking you to. I would think that this is the "Date and Time" setting in your operating system, not a particular program, since you're accessing the website with a browser.

Last edited:

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    I still don't think Windows is necessary: either the website knows you're on Windows, or it doesn't matter because they will give you instructions for Windows and Mac (and any other operating system) on the page they're linking you to. I would think that this is the "Date and Time" setting in your operating system, not a particular program, since you're accessing the website with a browser.
    I didn't see anything implying the person reading this error message sees it in a browser or sees it on a website. I have seen many registration programs that are not browser-based. Links to web pages appear anywhere: often in places other than browsers.

In my experience, omitting information that is "obvious" (to the writer, but not to every single user) is a common source of problems in using software. Maybe omitting the word "Windows" will cause no problems. But assuming it won't is a bad habit for an interface designer.

Copyright

American English
    Let's ask VeryEnglishFan. :) Because the instructions should be worded for a particular situation, not all conceivable situations.

< Previous | Next >