your dwelling will be away from the earth's richness...

drinkwater

Taiwanese Mandarin
Hi. In Genesis 27:39 (NIV), the passage says:

"Your dwelling will be away from the earth's richness, away from the dew of heaven above."

I wonder how far "away" is?

And this passage sounds to me more like a curse rather than a blessing; If I didn't read the context, I might have interpreted it as a curse that Issac wanted Esau to live on infertile land and be distant from heaven's dew.

Can anyone explain it to me? Thanks for your kind help.

Last edited:
  • PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    What Bible version are you using?

My KJV1611 says: Ge:27:39: And Isaac his father answered and said unto him, Behold, thy dwelling shall be the fatness of the earth, and of the dew of heaven from above;

This is obviously a blessing of some sort, there is no hint of "away from"

However, the next verse gives some context: Ge:27:40: And by thy sword shalt thou live, and shalt serve thy brother; and it shall come to pass when thou shalt have the dominion, that thou shalt break his yoke from off thy neck.

Esau did get a inheritance but it was not very good. The reason for that is that God hated Esau:

Mal:1:2: I have loved you, saith the LORD. Yet ye say, Wherein hast thou loved us? Was not Esau Jacob's brother? saith the LORD: yet I loved Jacob,

Mal:1:3: And I hated Esau, and laid his mountains and his heritage waste for the dragons of the wilderness.

Last edited:

gramman

Esau and God — they could never seem to get along. Jacob was always the good son.

>>God hated Esau

Well, he was very angry and disappointed at the time.

>>no hint of "away from"

It looks like this is a translation issue involving the Hebrew min, which simply indicates separation.

"Why are they translated differently?" — a discussion on a church site in Omaha, Nebraska.

So is this dwelling to be in an area of earthly plenty and heavenly dew or away from it? I'm thinking it will be part of the rich land, and in that sense, separate from it. That the dew may be somehow separated (away) from Heaven and be around us. Blessings that, as we're reminded, can become a curse if ignored.

Here's an article that discusses the relation of physical and spiritual blessings in this context: The Blessings of Isaac. Its conclusion involves manifest ramifications!

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    As a language issue, I refrained from involving other languages and apologetics are likely to be a biased source.

gramman

>>other languages

Yes, I was reluctant to mention another language, but I thought that was the best way to raise the question.

>>apologetics

Yeah, not the most thorough referencing. I only had time for a quick search. But in my limited experience, I've found these sites can provide some useful leads if nothing else. I'm learning these biblical references as I go along, and hoping to benefit from the source material.

drinkwater

Taiwanese Mandarin
    I am sorry that I forgot to state the version of this passage. It's quoted from NIV (New International Version).

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >