Your fuse is fireside

Riccardo97

Italian
Hi everybody, I've listened to a song this morning and I wondered what the sentence " when you're losing and your fuse is fireside " mean. (It is a record by artic monkeys, they often use strange expression)

• Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Welcome to the forum, Riccardo.

It's one of their strange expressions.

There are no grammar or usage rules for poems or for song lyrics. The writers have what we call "poetic license": They can use words any way they like for purposes of rhyme or rhythm or to express particular emotions (often known only to the writer). Don't use such sources as guides to formal writing or conversational English.

Neleothesze

Romanian
    This is a mystery for English speakers as well.

Here is someone's guess:
    Theyre losing and a single spark from the fire could light the fuse, possibly blowing up everything that they have.
    'Fireside'

I have no idea if it is correct.
    (At the risk of upsetting people by necro-ing an old thread... I will post my interpretation of those lyrics.)

As most probably know, fuses act as safety devices. The fuse blows when excess current passes through it but the whole circuit remains undamaged. If you take out the fuse you can interrupt the circuit.

If "you're losing and the fuse is fireside" that means there is no way you can avert the loss, to try and stop things. Or rather, to interrupt the circuit would mean stepping into the fire. To risk getting burnt. (-- in this uncertain relationship the song lyrics suggest:"Has it gone for good or is it coming back around?" "And I thought I was yours forever or maybe I was mistaken." "Isn't it hard to make up your mind? When you're losing and your fuse is fireside.")

It's just a metaphor.

They miss the old relationship but rekindling it would come with its own problems.

They're caught between a rock and a hard place.

< Previous | Next >