your indulgence and time

< Previous | Next >

apoziopeza

slovak
Hi,

Please advise,

When I am writing a letter and I ask the other party for understanding or patience and more time can I use the following sentence? Is the word "indulgence" ok or would you use, in formal English, the word "understanding"?

Thanks,

A.

We would like to kindly ask you for your indulgence and provide us with sufficient time for the submission of the stated document.

• Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    No, "indulgence" is not the right word -- you could use "patience" instead but I don't think there is any need for that; you can simply say "Kindly give us some more time for...".

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Hi,

Please advise,

When I am writing a letter and I ask the other party for understanding or patience and more time can I use the following sentence? Is the word "indulgence" ok or would you use, in formal English, the word "understanding"?

Thanks,

A.

We would like to kindly ask you for your indulgence and provide us with sufficient time for the submission of the stated document.
    As usual we need context to know what register you would be well advised to take.

To crave someone's indulgence was quite a common way of asking someone politely to be generous to you in some way. It is probably less used now than it was a hundred years ago - ngrams.

It's not suitable for a business letter, but then you don't tell us what sort of communication this is, Apoziopeza, so it's hard for me to say more.

< Previous | Next >