Your mileage may vary - YMMV

< Previous | Next >

diegows

Argentina, Spanish
I've seen the phrase of the subject sometimes. What's the meaning? I know that "Mileage" refers to distance in miles, but in the text where I read it didn't talk about that.

The text: "Keep in mind that these are our lawyers, not yours. Your mileage may vary, etc, etc, etc."

• Padraig

Hiberno-English, Irish Gaelic
    It's used metaphorically to mean Your experience might be different, and is now used loosely to say You might have a different opinion.

Trinibeens

NYC
    U.S. English
    I've seen the phrase of the subject sometimes. What's the meaning? I know that "Mileage" refers to distance in miles, but in the text where I read it didn't talk about that.

The text: "Keep in mind that these are our lawyers, not yours. Your mileage may vary, etc, etc, etc."
    In case you're interested, this phrase first became widely known in the U.S. as a disclaimer when auto companies began rating each vehicle on estimated 'miles per gallon' and including their results in their ads and written materials. Usually the text would have looked something like this:

"Rated at 18 MPG, your mileage may vary."

It has now taken on other meanings, and is often abbreviated as 'YMMV'.

edjay

English - North Wales
    I just nipped here after I found a link for the answer to YMMV - It sounds like the lawyers might prefer it to mean that the more you pay them, the further you might get. :)

I came across it regarding the comparisons of various drum sequencers:

ALL of this is IMHO, YMMV, give them a listen and decided for yourself. As for me, I feel that both are a good investment.....

Well, it le(a)d me here!

I took the liberty of posting a link to this thread in another forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >