Your own lookout/business

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
Hi,

What's the difference between "That's your own lookout" and "That's your own business"?

From my point of view, the former one is british while the latter one is American English.

It seems that the former is very formal and the second one is commoner.

May I have your opinion?

Thanks a lot

• TacoNight

English - USA
    Well, I've never heard "That's your own lookout". Perhaps it is a British usage that I don't know. Are you certain it isn't "That's your own outlook"?

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    A slight difference: 'lookout' implies that you'll be taking all the risk, and I'll 'wash my hands of it', that is don't blame me if things go wrong. 'Business' is more neutral - that's not my concern, I won't interfere, I shouldn't ask.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    The "own" seems out of place to me. I've certainly heard "that's your lookout" and "that's your business"—that is, with "your" emphasized; in both cases, it means yours and not mine or someone else's.

To me, they certainly mean different things. "Lookout" is something to be on the alert for. "Business" is, well, business.

Packard

USA, English
    In AE, if I understand the meaning correctly I would say, "You're on you own; leave [or "keep"] me out of it."

< Previous | Next >