Your pounding head and mouth

< Previous | Next >

NewAmerica

Banned
Mandarin
I have no clue what is "Your pounding head and mouth." Your pounding head? Yes, it could mean "your head that is pounded/hit hard repeatedly"; but what is pounding mouth?

Others, like dehydration, are side effects. Your pounding head and mouth like a wrestler’s jockstrap probably result from alcohol’s suppression of the antidiuretic hormone vasopressin, a process that makes you pee more. During the hangover vasopressin snaps back to a higher level than normal, although there appears to be no correlation between that, or indeed any other drink-induced hormonal imbalance, and the severity of the hangover.

Source: New Scientist

• Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    I don't think "head and mouth" go together here. There is "a pounding head" and "a mouth like a wrestler's jockstrap", though I don't really understand the idea behind this comparison. How can one's mouth resemble a wrestler's jockstrap? And what distinguishes a wrestler's from anyone else's? My guess would be that it's extra tight, and so perhaps when you are hung over your jaw and cheeks tense up.

If head and mouth did go together, then "like a wrestler's jockstrap" would need to be some kind of apposition and should have been enclosed in commas, but that wouldn't really make any sense. How can a wrestler's jockstrap "result from" hormone suppression?

NewAmerica

Banned
    Mandarin
    Thank you. :)

Good point Ed. I missed that. The mouth is not pounding, but is nasty tasting/smelling like a jockstrap.
    Looks like peeing more (resulting from alcohol’s suppression of the antidiuretic hormone vasopressin) has led to this nasty smelling. But it is easy to understand a jockstrap smelling like this. How could mouth?

Last edited:

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    You're clearly inexperienced in overindulging in alcoholic drink. A hangover is occasionally accompanied by bouts of vomiting. The mouth can smell (and taste) foul as a result of that.

london calling

UK English
    I don't think "head and mouth" go together here. There is "a pounding head" and "a mouth like a wrestler's jockstrap", though I don't really understand the idea behind this comparison. How can one's mouth resemble a wrestler's jockstrap? And what distinguishes a wrestler's from anyone else's? My guess would be that it's extra tight, and so perhaps when you are hung over your jaw and cheeks tense up.

If head and mouth did go together, then "like a wrestler's jockstrap" would need to be some kind of apposition and should have been enclosed in commas, but that wouldn't really make any sense. How can a wrestler's jockstrap "result from" hormone suppression?
    Exactly.:)

< Previous | Next >