You're both gonna have to take this up with the judge.

< Previous | Next >

EnglishBug

Chinese
In a TV show that I watched, an officer caught two guys fighting. Both of them blamed the other for starting the fight and insisted that they were just self-defensing. The officer said:

"You're both gonna have to take this up with the judge."

I understand the sentence, but I am curious about the usage of the idiom "take up somehting up with someone". What connotation does it have? What are the proper contexts to use it? If you could give me some sample sentences, it would be very helpful. Thanks.

• Driven

USA/English
    Take something up with somebody means to talk to somebody about some issue. For example,

If you are complaining to the store clerk she could say, "take it up with the manager."

If you are concerned about your cities streets, you could say, "I need to take this up at the next council meeting" or "I am going to take this up with the mayor."

If a teenager is bugging her mom to go out then mom can say, "Take it up with your dad." (I can personally relate to this one!)

I think the connotation is that it is usually a complaint, concern, self advocacy kind of thing as opposed to compliments. So if you tell the waitress you love the soup she wouldn't say, "take it up with the chef". She would only say that if you said you didn't like the soup.

I hope that helps!

< Previous | Next >