'You're killing me'

junxi3q

Chinese
I often hear 'You're killing me' in movies, but absolutely it doesn't seem to be a murder when they say this. Maybe it has some other meaning? It would be generous of you to offer me some examples. Thanks a lot!

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    What else are they doing? Are they by any chance laughing? Or is something else going on? Try to remember one particular example and describe the scene to us. This might have several meanings.

That is why we need
    Context and Background. ;)

junxi3q

Chinese
    They were telling something really amusing. And then one of them said 'You're killing me.'

This expression has many meaning? Can you tell me some? Thanks.

Cagey

English - US
    Thank you for the context, jnxi3q. :)

In this case, it means that the other person is being so funny that the speaker could die from laughing. (This is meaning #12 of laugh as a verb.) This is an exaggerated way of saying that something or someone is very funny. We also say things like "I almost died laughing."

Note: Here is a thread on how we use that second expression, in case you are interested: I'll die laughing!
    For the sake of completeness, here is another version of the idea: Is "Laugh to death" a correct sentence?

Last edited:

Cagey

English - US
    You should give us the exact context where you want to use this. "You're killing me" can be used as a complaint in certain situations. In other situations, another idiom might be more suitable.

Cagey

English - US
    To answer that, I would need to know what the stupid thing was.

We use 'you're killing me' to complain when someone has caused us certain kinds of trouble.

Packard

USA, English
    "You're killing me" can mean "you are undermining my efforts".

Supplier: Your cost is $4.00 each.

Customer: You're killing me; how am I to make a profit with those sort of prices? Last week they were $1.40 each.

junxi3q

Chinese
    "You're killing me" can mean "you are undermining my efforts".

Supplier: Your cost is $4.00 each.

Customer: You're killing me; how am I to make a profit with those sort of prices? Last week they were $1.40 each.
    Thanks for your good example. 'Undermining your effort' I got it:)

< Previous | Next >