You're one yourself - ????

mrboost

Korean - English
[In Charlie and the Chocolate Factory]

Number 77 - ALL THE BEANS, CACAO BEANS, COFFEE BEANS, JELLY BEANS, AND HAS BEANS.
"Has beans?" cried Violet Beauregarde.
"You're one yourself!" said Mr. Wonka.

(Some people think "one" is a typo, so they think "on" is proper)
In anyway, what's the meaning of Mr. Wonka's saying?
Which is correct one yourself? or on yourself? and what's the exact meaning of it?
I tried every dictionary I could use but found no clue.

Thanks for your replay in advance.

• JamesM

It's a pun. A "has-been" is a person who was once famous or important and no longer is (famous or important). I believe in most British English dialects "been" and "bean" are homophones. In American English "been" is usually a homophone with "bin".

aes_uk

English - England
    A "has bean" is a pun on "has-been" (see JamesM's definition). In British English they are pronounced exactly the same. It is a pun because Willy Wonka has just been listing real types of bean (cocoa, coffee, jelly) and then he says "has bean" which is not a real type of bean, it is just a play on words. It is not a typo, it's supposed to say "you're one yourself" as Willy Wonka is saying "you are also one (a has-been)". He is essentially insulting Violet by saying that she is a has-been.

mrboost

Korean - English
    So one is correct and the meaning is Violet is also 'a bean' or 'a famous or important one'. (bean is fitting eh?)
    Thanks a lot for your answers. Really I can't thank you enough. It's been a pain in the ass.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    So one is correct and the meaning is Violet is also 'a bean' or 'a famous or important one'...
    No, that is not what it means. The two words "has-been" form a single phrase. They mean a person who was famous or important at some time in the past, but is NOT famous or important today.

This term is used in a derogatory (negative) way. For example: if an old movie star, who has not taken care of himself, is not in good physical condition, and has not had any important parts for ten years, applies for the lead role in an action movie, the director might say "We can't use him. He's just a has-been."

You cannot separate out "been" by itself. It is meaningless to refer to someone as a "been."

< Previous | Next >