You're the first thing I think of when I wake up and the last when I fall asleep

Amanti

English
Ciao

I want to write "You're the first thing I think of when I wake up and the last when I fall asleep" and I am female sending to a male. Please could I ask if the following would be correct?

Sei la prima cosa che penso quando mi sveglio, e l'ultima quando mi addormento.

I am very much a beginner learning Italian and still get confused as to which words need changing dependant on masculine/feminine rules.

Thank you so much for any help and advice.

Kind regards

You must use the original sentence as the thread title, not your translation attempt.
Please check out these pages:

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Pratolini

English - England
    Ciao Amanti
    Correction in red below inside the quote, and then after the quote a brief explanation.
    Ciao

I want to write "You're the first thing I think of when I wake up and the last when I fall asleep" and I am female sending to a male. Please could I ask if the following would be correct?

Sei la prima cosa a cui penso quando mi sveglio, e l'ultima quando mi addormento.

I am very much a beginner learning Italian and still get confused as to which words need changing dependant on masculine/feminine rules.

Thank you so much for any help and advice.

Kind regards
    In Italian if you are thinking about someone in the sense of having them in your thoughts then it's "pensare a" eg "penso sempre a te"
    whereas "to think of" in the sense of "to have an opinion about" is "pensare di"

Last edited:

LaMapi

Italian - Italian (Italy)
    The transitive use of pensare is also acceptable (pensare una cosa vs pensare a una cosa, la penso vs le penso) and sees plenty of usage. Your sentence is therefore not wrong. ;)
    ...And yet I wouldn't use the verb "pensare" in the transitive form, when thinking of a person, while I'd find it totally acceptable for inanimate objects. ;)

Amanti

English
    Thank you for the replies.

Pratolini, your explanation has been very helpful too and is appreciated. I understand more now.

Teerex51

Italian, standard
    ...And yet I wouldn't use the verb "pensare" in the transitive form, when thinking of a person, while I'd find it totally acceptable for inanimate objects. ;)
    Care to explain why? Did you check out the Treccani entry I linked?
    What's wrong with la penso spesso, lo penso ogni volta che (etc.) ?

macforever

Italian
    Can't explain why: it's just the way I would use the verb. :)
    Sorry to have nettled you.
    Le informazioni date da Teerex51 mi sembrano assolutamente corrette e giustificate. Se sostieni tesi diverse perché non offri una spiegazione?

Teerex51

Italian, standard
    Actually, you haven't "nettled" me at all. :)
    I feel we should provide a solid explanation to those who ask for advice on the WRF. If there's a rule, we ought to quote it, if it's just a matter of personal preference, we need to say as much. ;)

< Previous | Next >