You're the first thing I think of when I wake up and the last when I fall asleep

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Amanti, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Amanti Member

English
    Ciao

I want to write "You're the first thing I think of when I wake up and the last when I fall asleep" and I am female sending to a male. Please could I ask if the following would be correct?

Sei la prima cosa che penso quando mi sveglio, e l'ultima quando mi addormento.

I am very much a beginner learning Italian and still get confused as to which words need changing dependant on masculine/feminine rules.

Thank you so much for any help and advice.

Kind regards

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2013
  2. Pratolini Senior Member

English - England
    Ciao Amanti
    Correction in red below inside the quote, and then after the quote a brief explanation.
    In Italian if you are thinking about someone in the sense of having them in your thoughts then it's "pensare a" eg "penso sempre a te"
    whereas "to think of" in the sense of "to have an opinion about" is "pensare di"

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  3. Teerex51

Teerex51 Senior Member

Milan, Italy
    Italian, standard
    The transitive use of pensare is also acceptable (pensare una cosa vs pensare a una cosa, la penso vs le penso) and sees plenty of usage. Your sentence is therefore not wrong. ;)

4. LaMapi New Member

Milan, Italy
    Italian - Italian (Italy)
    ...And yet I wouldn't use the verb "pensare" in the transitive form, when thinking of a person, while I'd find it totally acceptable for inanimate objects. ;)

5. Amanti Member

English
    Thank you for the replies.

Pratolini, your explanation has been very helpful too and is appreciated. I understand more now.

6. Teerex51

Teerex51 Senior Member

Milan, Italy
    Italian, standard
    Care to explain why? Did you check out the Treccani entry I linked?
    What's wrong with la penso spesso, lo penso ogni volta che (etc.) ?

7. LaMapi New Member

Milan, Italy
    Italian - Italian (Italy)
    Can't explain why: it's just the way I would use the verb. :)
    Sorry to have nettled you.

8. macforever Senior Member

Italian
    Le informazioni date da Teerex51 mi sembrano assolutamente corrette e giustificate. Se sostieni tesi diverse perché non offri una spiegazione?

9. Teerex51

Teerex51 Senior Member

Milan, Italy
    Italian, standard
    Actually, you haven't "nettled" me at all. :)
    I feel we should provide a solid explanation to those who ask for advice on the WRF. If there's a rule, we ought to quote it, if it's just a matter of personal preference, we need to say as much. ;)