You're the shrink. I'm not big on self-affirmation.

afx

slovak
Hi,

In first episode of the first series of Lie To Me seriel, there is a situation, where man (boss) comes to work and woman talks to him about hiring new colleague:

Woman: Just the man I was looking for. Today's the day. Say it.
Man: - You're the shrink. I'm not big on self-affirmation.
Woman: - I'm telling you, we cannot wait another day to hire someone. I found the one. This is the one.
Man: - I, - Use your words. - Why do we need to hire someone?

Can someone please help me with bold sentence? I can understand words, but have no idea what he is trying to say by this in this context.

Thanks a lot for answer.

• Biffo

English - England
    A shrink is a counsellor/psychiatrist/psychotherapist. Is the woman one of theses?

When she says "Say it", she means "Say 'Today's the day'". This is an affirmation. It is supposed to generate confidence.

He says "You are into that kind of thing. I don't believe in this self-affirmation nonsense."

Myridon

English - US
    The woman is a psychiatrist. Self-affirmations are positive things that you say to yourself to encourage yourself.
    Affirmation (New Age) from Wikipedia:
    Affirmations in New Thought and New Age terminology refers primarily to the practice of positive thinking and self-empowerment—fostering a belief that "a positive mental attitude supported by affirmations will achieve success in anything." More specifically, an affirmation is a carefully formatted statement that should be repeated to one's self and written down frequently.

afx

slovak
    To make situation more precise: They are partners in a company now, but she used to be shrink before.

Afx, think of what the shrink might want the man to do. He's to say, "Today's the day. There are challenges and I can meet them!" (Rah, rah, rah). He's perhaps told to clench his fist and wave it: "I can do it!" (Watch the athletes who've had such trainers, as they do their fist routines.)

He says, "You're the shrink; I'm not into those routines."

< Previous | Next >