you're thinner/skinnier

< Previous | Next >

Ah_poix_e

Portuguese
Hi all,

Are they equally correct when you want to express the ideia that one has lost some weight?

Thank you. :)

• JamesM

"Thinner" is more formal, in my opinion. "Skinnier" is more casual. They are both correct in the appropriate contexts. I wouldn't say to the CEO of our company "You look skinnier!"

Ah_poix_e

Portuguese
    "Thinner" is more formal, in my opinion. "Skinnier" is more casual. They are both correct in the appropriate contexts. I wouldn't say to the CEO of our company "You look skinnier!"
    Hi James,

Thank you so much.
    So, both of them simply convey that one has lost weight, regardless of whether one is actually skinny or not so much. Is my understanding correct?

JamesM

Yes. Someone could weigh 300 pounds, but if they've lost a hundred pounds and look less portly it would be a compliment to say "you look skinnier/thinner!" It's all relative. :)

Packard

USA, English
    There are other words that convey the same meaning. One of those that I favor is "gracile". Which means: (of a person) slender or thin, especially in a charming or attractive way.

It is rare that a person knows what it means so I get to explain and it carries even more weight that way. It sounds like it must come from the same root word as graceful (but it does not).

For addressing a woman that has slimmed down, a perfect word in my opinion (as long as you are willing to explain the meaning).

< Previous | Next >