You're too <human><humane>

JJXR

Russian
Hello to all,

Thanks for reading my post.

Source:

Mafia: The City Of Lost Heaven (a computer game).

Context:

In the past, Don Salieri ordered Tom to kill Frank, but Tom didn't kill him. Now, Don Salieri has sent Sam to kill Tom. The dialog below unfolds between Tom and Sam.

Sample sentence:

Sam: "Besides, the diamonds have nothing to do with the fact that you didn't kill Frank. He broke the Omerta. Which is worse, Tom?"

Tom: "How do you know I didn't kill Frank?"

Sam: "You can blame it all on someone else you didn't kill. You're too <human><humane>. She came back to the city and we found her by accident."

Question:

"Human" is used in the original. I think "humane" fits the context better. I wonder if both options are correct in the above dialog. My guess is that "human" can be used informally instead of "humane."

Thanks a lot for any comments, corrections or suggestions!

Regards,
JJXR

• Uncle Jack

British English
    "Too human" usually means fallible, and is a common thing to say. "Too humane" means insufficiently cruel, and I don't recall having come across it before. In normal use there isn't any overlap between the two.

I really cannot understand what is going on in your quote, so I have no idea which, if either, is the appropriate word.

owlman5

English-US
    Hi, JJXR. In case you needed a verification of your idea that people do sometimes misuse "human" and use it to mean something like "humane", I can verify that. It seems as though I used to hear the misuse a little more frequently than I do lately.

JJXR

Russian
    Thanks for your responses, Uncle Jack and owlman5.
    I really cannot understand what is going on in your quote, so I have no idea which, if either, is the appropriate word.
    Tom didn't kill Frank and the girl because he was insufficiently cruel. He felt pity for them.

kentix

English - U.S.
    I would use humane there but if the person chose human on purpose then it means "you act too much like a normal human being", you don't act like a Mafia person is sometimes expected to act, i.e. ruthlessly.

< Previous | Next >