you're very much welcome

epistolario

Tagalog
Thank you.

a) You're very much welcome.
b) You're welcome.

In this context, I'm sure that B is always correct. But I'm not sure if A is also correct and natural-sounding.

• gasman

Canada, English
    If a) was you are "very welcome", it would be suitable. The "much" is extraneous.

airportzombie

English - CaE/AmE
    Welcome in this case is an adjective.

The past participle would be welcomed.
    She was welcomed with open arms into the study group.

tunaafi

English - British (Southern England)
    If you believe a member has told you that You are very much welcome is acceptable, then please give us a link to the thread.
    But they say that we shouldn't quote members words.
    Who are 'They'?

We quote members's words all the time. I have just quoted yours.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    It's true that some native speakers on this forum have used this phrase "You are very much welcome", occasionally. It isn't something I myself would write or say, but I think it's a very minor point of difference. Not worth quibbling about, in my opinion.

[Threads merged: thank you! DonnyB - moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

epistolario

Tagalog
    Thanks to all of you for confirming my suspicion that "You're very much welcome" (an expression that I've never really used but heard occasionally from some non-native speakers) is not idiomatic.
    I saw in this forum and more than once. But they say that we shouldn't quote members words.
    I did an exact-match search for "very much welcome" in the forums, and almost all quotes are from non-native speakers except one from someone who claims to speak Australian English. Probably, English is not really his or her first language, or the owner of that account might have heard the expression from non-native speakers.
    You're probably referring to "very much welcome" used in other contexts (not the response to "thank you") like "I/we very much welcome it."

taraa

Persian
    It's true that some native speakers on this forum have used this phrase "You are very much welcome", occasionally. It isn't something I myself would write or say, but I think it's a very minor point of difference. Not worth quibbling about, in my opinion.

[Threads merged: thank you! DonnyB - moderator]
    Thank you!
    Thanks to all of you for confirming my suspicion that "You're very much welcome" (an expression that I've never really used but heard occasionally from some non-native speakers) is not idiomatic.

I did an exact-match search for "very much welcome" in the forums, and almost all quotes are from non-native speakers except one from someone who claims to speak Australian English. Probably, English is not really his or her first language, or the owner of that account might have heard the expression from non-native speakers.
    You're probably referring to "very much welcome" used in other contexts (not the response to "thank you") like "I/we very much welcome it."
    Thank you!
    Even here "I/we very much welcome it" why should "very much" be used before "welcome"?

Loob

English UK
    Are you asking about the position of "very much" before the verb "welcome", taraa? There's nothing strange about it; and yes, we can do the same thing with the verb "like", especially if the direct object is long:
    I very much like all those thoughtful answers he gives in the English Only forum.

taraa

Persian
    We normally use 'very' with adjectives; and 'very much' with verbs. I don't know what you mean by like "like".
    Thank you.
    Are you asking about the position of "very much" before the verb "welcome", taraa? There's nothing strange about it; and yes, we can do the same thing with the verb "like", especially if the direct object is long:
    I very much like all those thoughtful answers he gives in the English Only forum.
    Yes I meant this. Thank you very much.

< Previous | Next >