You're welcome, girls.

Roguefemme

US, English
Okay, I've searched for "you're welcome" in French for one of my stories, now I just want to make sure I've got the right one. Context: A man (French) has given presents to his foster daughter and her best friend and is saying "You're welcome". I chose "avec plaisir" because "with pleasure" is closer to what he would say "no problem". (The story itself is a funny recount of all the trouble he had in choosing said gifts.)

Note: Asher is French, as in born and raised in France. The girls are born and raised American: Mara speaks French, but Cameron doesn't except for what she picked up from being around Mara and her parents. Asher uses French and then English both to make sure he's understood and as a sneaky way to teach the girls French.

(Also, I couldn't find if there's a plural form of "fille". Please tell me if I've gotten it wrong.)

Here's the exerpt:

Jean-Claude, who was manfully struggling to keep his smile from turning into a laugh, said, "Ma fille, are you forgetting something?" The adolescent blinked up at him for a moment with eyes identical to his, then got it.

"Thank you, Papa Asher!" She dashed from her seat and around the table to pounce Asher in an enthusiastic hug and kissed his cheek. "Thank you for my wonderful present!"

Not to be outdone, Cameron darted around the other side of the table. Mara moved to Asher's right side just in time for Cameron to throw her arms around him from the other side. "Thank you, Asher! I love my makeup!" Cameron said.

"You're the best!" Mara informed him.

"The awesomest!" Cameron added. "Thank you so much!"

"Merci beaucoup!"

"Yeah, merci beaucoup!"

Laughing, Asher put an arm around each girl and kissed their cheeks as they cuddled him. "Avec plaisir, ma chere fille. You are both very welcome."

• Lil_Dave

France - French
    In general, in French we use "de rien" (modestly stated it was nothing, not an embarassment at all). Here maybe "Ce n'est rien" or "C'était un plaisir".
    If he's talking in French to both girls, it's "mes chères filles"

follencavale

France
    Si tu dis "mes chères filles", on pourrait croire qu'il est leur père, non ?

Je dirais simplement : "C'était un plaisir les filles"

Roguefemme

US, English
    He is a father to one of them in all but biology, and the end of the story shows him realizing he cares for the other girl (her best friend), the same way. So actually, "mes chères filles" works. :)

Merci!

< Previous | Next >