you're welcome to them

youngneil

French (France)
Hello!

I struggle to understand the meaning of this sentence: "You're welcome to them".

The context is a British TV series in which the manager A of a team in an office is temporarily suspended and replaced by a manager B.
A is then reinstated and B gives him back his position.
A was very much loved by his team, contrary to B.
When B goes, A says : "Thank you for looking after my team".
B answers : "You're welcome to them".

I really do not know if it is just another way of saying "You're welcome" ("De rien") or if she means "They are welcoming you back with pleasure" ("Ils seront contents de vous retrouver") or ??? :confused:

I am really confused and would appreciate your help : thanks !

• djweaverbeaver

English Atlanta, GA USA
    Without actually seeing or hearing the phrase being uttered in context, I took this to mean "There are all yours now", as in they belong to you (A) again in the sense that you're now officially in charge of them again. (Ils sont vôtres/Ils sont à vous de nouveau).

Alternatively, B could be responding arrogantly and directly to the whole team, since A is thanking him on behalf of everyone. It is not impossible, especially if B knows that he isn't well liked by everyone there. He might be thinking: "They should feel so lucky and privileged that I would deign to help them with their little problems. Those ingrates!"

It's hard to know exactly what is meant without hearing the intonation in B's voice, unfortunately...

misterk

English-American
    I understand the tone here as something like "I'm glad to give them back to you; I'm glad to have no more to do with them" (Je suis fort content de m'en débarrasser).

wendyredredrobin

English UK
    It sounds to me as if B didn't get on with the team and is happy to be leaving and implies that the team is not very efficient/hardworking....

youngneil

French (France)
    Thank you to all three of you! You are great! :)

It is exactly it! Your explanations fit perfectly in the context.

I will translate : "Je ne les regretterai pas" or "Ils ne me manqueront pas".

< Previous | Next >