you're welcome / welcomed to call me

Enlasarenas

Spain, Spanish-Galician
Hola amig@s,

A veces titubeo a la hora de decir esta expresión. Por lógica diría el primero, ya que el verbo "to come" es irregular, pero el segundo lo he visto también en numerosas construcciones tipo: "they welcomed us with open arms". What would you native speakers rather say?

Thanks mil!!

Arenas

• GiggLiden

US
    "You're welcome" (you ARE welcome, NOT the often misused, "your welcome") is a total concept all by itself and generally used as shown. It means ... de nada ... a gracious response after someone else has said, "thank you."

It can also serve in the sense of "mi casa es su casa" ... you're (always) welcome (adjective) in our house. Estas bienvenido en nuestra casa. You will always be shown a gracious welcome (noun) here.

cirrus

UK English
    I can see your difficulty. The first one sounds better by far. I have no doubt you might have well have heard the second, but a native with any love of the language would have cringed to hear it.

Mr. Chaz

United States - English
    You're always welcome in our house. (here welcome is an adjective)

One is always welcomed graciously there. [verb welcome in passive voice] [meaning:They give you a gracious welcome there.]

"Welcome" as a verb is "regular"; it does NOT follow the irregularity of "to come".

They generally welcome everyone. Last year they welcomed almost everyone.

They generally come here for the weekends; last year they came on weekends too.

< Previous | Next >