You're welcome

• Kevman

USA English
    To clarify:

Παρακαλώ means "you're welcome" as in what you respond to "thank you."

Καλώς ήρθες (or ήλθες), etc., means "(you are) welcome [to a place]."

I think we might need more information about which one you're looking for. :)

Vagabond

Actually. I will second Kevman's first post
    Παρακαλώ (pa-ra-ka-)

The same word also means "please."
    Now, "καλώς ήρθες" (etc) is "welcome" - eg: "Welcome to Greece!", only in that sense.

*"You are welcome [to a place]" should be "είσαι ευπρόσδεκτος".

*Question to Kev: You can't exclaim "You're welcome!" to a visitor, can you? I mean without adding the place?
    (I might be terribly, terribly wrong about this, so native English advice needed, before I confuse ripple beyond belief :D)

Kevman

USA English
    *Question to Kev: You can't exclaim "You're welcome!" to a visitor, can you?
    You're right. :thumbsup: The isolated phrase "you're welcome" in English is pretty much exclusively used as a response to "thank you." When I saw the topic I automatically assumed this is the usage ripple was asking about. The words "you're welcome to..." may also be used (with about the same meaning) even before a "thank you" is involved, e.g.: You're welcome to read any of my books whenever you want.

To welcome someone to a place you don't use the "you're" in English, but it does seem to be indicated in the Greek version so I can see where quirinus is coming from. ("Ευπρόσδεκτος" inerests me because I didn't even think about a literal adjective form.) At any rate:
    Welcome to Ohio! :tick:
    We welcome you to Ohio! :tick:
    Ohio welcomes you! :tick:
    but
    You're welcome to Ohio! :cross: (This means: "You are free (or allowed) to take Ohio!" :))

< Previous | Next >