Yours sincerely/affectionately

shop-englishx

Banned
Urdu
Hello Friends,
"Yours" is usually a possessive pronoun with an implicit noun. What is the implicit noun in the case of "yours sincerely" and "yours affectionately" (used at the end of letters)?
I am bewildered, I need help.

Thanks.

• Glenfarclas

English (American)
    Once upon a time, the complimentary close was the last part of a complete final sentence: for example,

... Finally, I am looking forward to seeing you when you visit Milwaukee. Until then, I have the honor to remain

Your devoted friend,

John Q. Doe

Over time the closes remained but people stopped writing the rest of the sentence. At any rate, the (implied) subject of every complimentary close is "I" (or "we" where signed by more than one person).

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    The complete sentence is never used. In fact, "yours" may be omitted. The most widely used closings (in AE):
    Yours truly,
    Sincerely,
    Love, [to a lover or family member]
    Best wishes,
    Best,

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    So, what should be the complete sentence? Glen.
    I am yours sincerely Or
    I am your sincere friend
    It could be either of those. Really, it can be just about anything of that style. Here's a letter from Abigail Adams to John Adams (the second president of the USA) in which she closes, "I need not say how much I am / Your ever faithfull Friend." Here's a letter from a Leonard W. Volk to Abraham Lincoln ending "I remain, Dear Sir, / Your obedient servant."

< Previous | Next >