Yous Vs You

< Previous | Next >

IrishStar

Italian
Hi Everybody,

I have noticed that here in Ireland they often use the word "Yous" (not sure about the spelling) to refer to second plural person. Eg Are yous (meaning all of you) going to the party?

I was wondering if this is only an Irish expression. If it isn't, is it ok to use it in an informal context or is it absolutely wrong?

Thank you!

• Lexiphile

England English
    Even on my (admittedly rare) visits to Ireland, I've never heard this. It certainly isn't part of any variant of English that I know, so I would be inclined to describe it as wrong (except, of course, in Ireland), even in informal contexts.

That said, I try to resist saying anything in English is "absolutely wrong." :)

Pedro y La Torre

English (Ireland)
    You're right we do use this all the time in Ireland, it's fine to use it an informal context, as we do, but you should probably stick to you if formality is required.

IrishStar

Italian
    Hi Lexiphile,

I have been living in Ireland for more than 2 years now and it has been only recently that I have realised they OVERUSE this "Yous" form. That is why I started to suspect it might be somehow a common phrase in spoken English. Thank you for reinforcing my initial idea!

:)

cyberpedant

English USA, Northeast, NYC
    "Yous" used to be part of the New York City dialect among the working class. Our teachers often rapped our knuckles for using this variant.
    It would not be totally unacceptable to imitate this usage in Ireland, especially if it's pronounced /yiz/.

< Previous | Next >