youth population

< Previous | Next >

Mmustafa

Egypt, Arabic
At the community level, the failure to invest the youth population is effectively slow suicide for the whole community.

Do you think youth population is correct, and the should be deleted?

• bibliolept

AE, Español
    I think "the youth population" is correct and idiomatic.

"Invest" might not be the best choice, though. Perhaps "involve," "interest," or "engage" would be superior?

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    I think "the youth population" sounds a little awkward.

How about any of these:
    At the community level, a failure to invest in the youth of the community is effectively slow suicide for the whole community.
    At the community level, a failure to invest in its young people is effectively slow suicide for the whole community.
    At the community level, a failure to invest in its youth is effectively slow suicide for the whole community.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    "invest in" would mean to pay attention to and to spend on the youth population's development.
    "invest the youth population" is odd; it would not mean to "draw the interest of the youth population" or "to interact with them."

Mmustafa

Egypt, Arabic
    Thanks all
    Bib, would please tell me how to express your words "draw the interest of the youth population" in my context?

Elwintee

England English
    I think "the youth population" sounds a little awkward.

How about any of these:
    At the community level, a failure to invest in the youth of the community is effectively slow suicide for the whole community.
    At the community level, a failure to invest in its young people is effectively slow suicide for the whole community.
    At the community level, a failure to invest in its youth is effectively slow suicide for the whole community.
    I agree these all read better, but I would be wary of changing the to a. It all depends on the context. If this sentence is part of a paragraph which has already mentioned such a failure, then the failure is correct.

< Previous | Next >