Youths in Japan are very helpful.
The youths in Japan are very helpful.
What are the differences?
Please help

Last edited:
  • Arrius

English, UK
    The youth of Japan are very helpful.
    The others are either incorrect or awkward.
    Young Japanese people are very helpful is possible too. I have also heard educated native speakers say Japanese young people.
    A youth is a young male, more often than not used in a negative, even criminal, context.

Nunty

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    The youth of Japan are very helpful.
    The others are either incorrect or awkward.
    Young Japanese people are very helpful is possible too. I have also heard educated native speakers say Japanese young people.
    A youth is a young male, more often than not used in a negative, even criminal, context.

An AE note: youth is a neutral word in American English. As a collective noun it is gender neutral, but as a countable noun most often refers to young males.

cattiedoggie

Chinese
    Thank you all for your feedback.
    So I think I should can write the following:

The youth of Japan are very helpful. It is however difficult to arouse youth's interest in doing voluntary work.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    It's probably personal, but I would prefer to avoid "youth" in this context.
    The young people of Japan are very helpful. It is, however, difficult to arouse their interest...

Sun14

Chinese
    I saw this poster in our camps as the banners for recruiting new members for AIESEC:

1) AIESEC provides a global platform for youths to develop their potentials.

2) We give youths a chance to see the world.

I was wondering whether the use of "youths" is idiomatic.

variegatedfoliage

English - US
    I saw this poster in our camps as the banners for recruiting new members for AIESEC:

1) AIESEC provides a global platform for youths to develop their potentials.

2) We give youths a chance to see the world.

I was wondering whether the use of "youths" is idiomatic.

It's awkward. Young people/person is preferable. Youth (not youths) means young people in general.

Youth
    is most commonly used to mean the time of life when one is young: "Make the most of your youth."

Sun14

Chinese
    It's awkward. Young people/person is preferable. Youth (not youths) means young people in general.

Youth
    is most commonly used to mean the time of life when one is young: "Make the most of your youth."

I am a bit confused when I saw it, since AIESEC is a well-known organization. It shouldn't make such a mistake.

variegatedfoliage

English - US
    I am a bit confused when I saw it, since AIESEC is a well-known organization. It shouldn't make such a mistake.

Without a link I can't know for sure what you are quoting, but I think you are introducing typos when you are copying: "AIESEC provides a global platform for youth (not youths :cross:) to develop their potential (not potentials :cross:)."

As Arrius wrote, a youth is a young male, more often than not used in a negative, even criminal, context. Youths in the plural refers to multiple young males; youth as a plural mean young people in general.

It is not a mistake to use youth in this way, but it is formal. It is appropriate in mission statements like AIESEC's, but it should be used sparingly.

Sun14

Chinese
    Without a link I can't know for sure what you are quoting, but I think you are introducing typos when you are copying: "AIESEC provides a global platform for youth (not youths :cross:) to develop their potential (not potentials :cross:)."

As Arrius wrote, a youth is a young male, more often than not used in a negative, even criminal, context. Youths in the plural refers to multiple young males; youth as a plural mean young people in general.

It is not a mistake to use youth in this way, but it is formal. It is appropriate in mission statements like AIESEC's, but it should be used sparingly.

I see, They are not typos. I found it in the poster in our campus and I took photos then copy it in the thread.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    I agree with variegated's first take on this; they should have used "young people". "Youth" doesn't work like that (see post #11 - but I think it is a mistake.).